Monday, January 25, 2010

Beer 23 - Summerbright Ale, Breckenridge Brewery


My favorite movie of all time is Lonesome Dove. I have nearly all six hours memorized. My beautiful bride decided to get the book for me as a Christmas gift, which has proved to be very useful. Practical and simple are good for me. Like the new coffee pot she also got me. I use it every day.


The draw for me is not necessarily the small town in south Texas on the Rio Grande, although it has its appeal too(the heat a dryness of the S. Texas desert is probably what convinced me to drink a summer beer today). What pulls me in is the discontentment we share, me and the Captain. Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely content with all the Lord has blessed me with, which is everything I have. The discontentment I speak of is with the everyday. The world in my head tells me that there's something to be done. One more project or mission that I should undertake to keep me from dying of boredom. I need an adventure.


Scene Setting: I hope this is not TMI. Stretched out in my tub with my Summerbright Ale and chapter 13 of Lonesome Dove. They just got back from "reclaiming" horses from Mexico and are preparing for the drive to Montana.


Verdict: My first thought was that it was honest and solid in construction. Just kidding, that was printed on the bottle. Although when I drank it first I did think "that's a good beer from the aroma to the aftertaste," and I guess that's another way of saying solid. Anyhow, I enjoyed it and it left me with a light feel that would be welcome in the heat of the summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment