Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 17 - Old Plowshare Organic Stout, North Coast Brewing Company


The picture on the front of this stout from North Coast Brewing Company reminded me of something my friend and pastor quoted this morning. "If you sow sparingly you will reap sparingly and if you sow bountifully you will reap bountifully." It reminds me that there is a certain amount of work that must be done. In all things. My marriage, kids, family, friends, job, and anything else worth doing all take work. Some more than others but all at some point are painful work. But the truth is where you sow you will reap, and the amount you reap is directly related to the amount you sow.

This is something I have learned my whole life watching my dad. I never saw the man do anything half way. The powerful part about it is that I'm reaping what he sowed. I can't think of a decision I have to make as a man now that "what would Dad do?" doesn't affect the outcome. So I drink this stout in honor of a man that has never put down the plow as long as I can remember. Thanks for the life lesson Dad, and you didn't even have to say a word.

Scene Setting: An empty house. The kids are with Pamaw and Dan Dan. The silence overtakes me as I think back over a life with my dad and thank God for the man I got to watch demonstrate devotion, kindness, endurance, faithfulness, and integrity.

Verdict: I'm not sure if it was the organic ingredients or the memories but this beer was a great experience. Excellent flavor, strong without being overpowering, kind of like my dad.

1 comments:

Tim said...

Nice post. I wonder why they chose that name for the beer?

Post a Comment